Wild Apricot is an amazing piece of software, there’s no doubt about that. It’s an easy to use solution for setting up websites that provide memberships, events, email communications, forums, blogs, and event online fundraising. It comes with a lot of pre-built, clean website templates to choose from, and allows for web designers to create and upload their own custom templates.
But as customizable as the layout may be, many feel that Wild Apricot lacks real extensibility, such as would you would find in WordPress. It’s true, Wild Apricot keeps it simple, proving you with the key functionality you need – that doesn’t mean you can’t get creative with unique functionality.
Skilled developers can push the envelope, and that’s just what the Solution Developers at DotCreativity has done for numerous clients. Here is a list of some of the value-added features we have implemented for clients to inspire you to think outside of the Apricot Basket.
- Member Geo-location/Google Maps: Definitely our most popular customization, it is possible to tap into the membership directory and plot your members on an interactive Google Map.
- Proximity/Zip Code Search: This customization ties for first in popularity. Visitors to your site can run a search to find members within their zip code or near a given address or intersection.
- Profile Widgets: Give a little life to the static Wild Apricot profile by adding interactive social media widgets and buttons. Your site visitors can opt to follow members on Twitter, Like on Facebook, View a YouTube video by a member, check out their LinkedIn information, and more – all without leaving the member’s profile.
- Footer Site Map Gadget: A new custom gadget that automatically lists the pages contained within the website in the footer like what is done on many popular websites.
- Cross-site Login: Have a separate website with features for Wild Apricot members? With some custom coding, it is possible to check if a member is currently logged in to Wild Apricot from a different website. With this you can then provide additional member only services not possible on the Wild Apricot platform, such as file sharing, member event submission, website chat, and more.
- Custom Member Directory: Don’t like the layout of the member directory? With some custom coding you can change it up, even add features such as the ability for visitors to sort by column. Or, simply use Wild Apricot as a backend for a separate website and show the member directory there without the need for iframes and widgets.
- Multiple-Languages: If you offer services in multiple languages, we can set up the ability to switch between the various languages you offer without having to clutter up your menu with duplicate pages.
- Detect Screen Size: This is handy when you want to show content based on the device being used. Visitors on mobile devices may only want to see what’s important, so you can hide images and fluff for mobile sized windows, or direct them to special areas.
There are many, many possibilities. You shouldn’t rule anything out before talking to an experienced Wild Apricot partner. Your website is one of the most important faces of your organization, working with a Wild Apricot partner will definitely be worth it.
To sign up for a free no-obligation Wild Apricot trial (no credit card needed) – click here.
To view some previous customization work by DotCreativity – click here.
To view our customization packages – click here.